Hormone Health for Physical Therapist
Presented by Jessica Drummond, DCN, CCN, PT
4 Contact Hours, MT category A
Full Course information can be found by scrolling down below.
If you are registering a member, and you find the selection does not give you member pricing, please log in with the email we have on file for you. This will recognize you as a member. If that doesn't work, feel free to call or email and we will find the problem and fix!
Provisions include a light continental breakfast including coffee, lunch at the business meeting.
Missoula Hilton Gardon Inn. Please request MAPTA room block by calling 406-532-5300
October 12, 2018, 6pm. Missoula
Business meeting and elections will be held at noon on Saturday, October 13, 2018 at the CE site. Lunch is included for those registered for the course. Please RSVP if you are not registered (you may register online). Please send agenda items to the office or President Jay Shaver by Septemer 22, 2018. Final agenda will be posted by October 3, 2018.
MAPTA reserves the right to refuse/cancel an event registration. If MAPTA refuses a registration, registrants will be offered a full refund.
Registration Cancellation by Participant:
- Cancellations will be accepted in writing via fax, email, or mail.
- A $25.00 administration fee will be withheld when cancellation occurs up to ten days prior to the start of the event; 50% refund if cancelled 2-10 days prior; 25% refund if cancelled 0-1 day prior.
10% Discount for 3 or more APTA Member PTs/PTAs from one clinic. Fees for all persons must be made with one payment. No exceptions. Credit will not be provided at a later date. Combining discounts (ie Lifetime AND Group) is not applicable. If you need to take advantage of this, call us for a group code to pay online, or mail in your check with participant names.
Students may take any classroom course for only $99. Courses in which we need to limit numbers or labs do not apply. If you need to take advantage of this, call us for a group code to pay online, or mail in your check with participant names.
Lifetime members may take any non-limited seating, MAPTA sponsored CE at 50% discount. Combining discounts (ie Lifetime AND Group) is not applicable. If you need to take advantage of this, call us for a group code to pay online, or mail in your check with participant names.
Full Conference Agenda
Saturday (all courses):
7:00 - 8:00am Professional Issues Forum
8:00am - 12noon/12:15pm Courses with break
12:15pm - 2:00pm MAPTA Business meeting and luncheon
2:00pm - 6:00pm Courses with break
Evening Dinner location TBA, no host
Sunday (Only Cervical Course continues on Sunday):
8:000am - 12noon Course with break
12noon - 1:00pm Lunch on your own
1:00pm - 4:00pm Course with break
About the course:
Hormone Health for Physical Therapists
In this session, the participants will learn:
Module 1: THE HPA AXIS AND STRESS HORMONES
In this module, you will learn the biochemistry and physiology behind how the brain and adrenals support women during physical or emotional stress, and how nutrition, movement, and lifestyle strategies can help build resilience in the face of stress.
Module 2: THE HPT AXIS AND THYROID HORMONES
Thyroid imbalance issues are increasingly common for women. Women with thyroid symptoms such as hair loss, weight loss resistance, fatigue, anxiety, and cold intolerance need your support. Learn to use evidence-based nutrition, movement, and lifestyle strategies to optimize thyroid function.
Module 3: THE FEMALE SEX HORMONES
If you work with women with infertility, low libido, pelvic pain, painful sex, irregular and heavy periods and other symptoms of sex hormone imbalance, you need to deepen your understanding of the sex hormones and how to support their balance holistically.
You can't look at the stress hormone system, thyroid hormone system or sex hormone system in isolation. They're all connected.
This module includes a physical assessment of nutrient deficiencies.
Bonus Module: WOMEN'S BRAIN HEALTH
All of the hormonal axes - the adrenal, thyroid, and sex hormone axes - originate in the brain. If you work with women who are anxious, have sleep issues, brain fog, adrenal issues, memory loss, or are just mentally exhausted and overwhelmed, this module will give you the tools that you need to balance all of the hormonal systems from the brain. These safe, effective, and natural tools will help your clients feel clear, focused, calm, vibrant and energized again!
Hormonal health begins with brain health!
Course Description and Objectives:
- The participants will understand the details of and interrelationships between the HPA, HPT, and HPG Axes to support clients and patients with nutrition, movement, mindfulness, and other evidence-based lifestyle medicine tools and strategies - addressing stress, chronic pain, fatigue, weight loss resistance, and menstrual health challenges.
- The participant will demonstrate strategies for teaching patients stress management techniques to impact dysregulated hormone levels.
- The participants will be able to detail initial steps for optimizing digestive function to improve nutrient absorption in clients with hormonal imbalances and nutrient deficiencies, including chewing, movement, abdominal manual therapy, breathing patterns, and nutrient dense nutrition recommendations.
- The participants will be able to identify musculoskeletal, fatigue, and pain symptoms related to dysregulated cortisol and insulin levels, high or low estrogen levels, low testosterone levels, and low progesterone levels.
- The participants will be able to identify signs of brain health impairments related to hormonal imbalances such as blood sugar dysregulation, anemia, chronic inflammation, and low vagus nerve tone - and use evidence-based lifestyle medicine and movement strategies to improve these impairments.
Saturday ONLY, schedule includes 1 15 minute breaks
(7:15am - MAPTA Professional Issues Forum begins the Day)
8am - 10am - Course modules, see above
15 min break
10:15 - 12:15pm - Course modules, see above
12:15pm - 2pm MAPTA Business meeting and luncheon
2pm - 6pm Jessica's second course begins, see next event.
About the Speaker
Dr. Jessica Drummond, DCN, CCN, PT, Founder and CEO of the Integrative Women's Health Institute is passionate about caring for and empowering women who struggle with women’s and pelvic health conditions. She is equally passionate about educating and supporting clinicians in confidently and safely using integrative tools to transform women's and pelvic healthcare.
Having two decades of experience in women’s and pelvic health as a physical therapist and functional nutritionist, plus owning a private women’s health clinical nutrition and coaching practice, gives her a unique perspective on the integrative, conservative options for pelvic pain management, hormone balance, preconception and fertility support, postpartum recovery, and chronic pain and fatigue management. She regularly lectures on topics such as integrative pelvic pain management, natural fertility options, optimal hormone health, and functional and integrative nutrition for rehabilitation, nutrition, wellness, fitness, and medical professionals.
Dr. Drummond was educated at the University of Virginia, Emory University, Duke Integrative Medicine, and Maryland University of Integrative Health.